It's Thursday, late August, 2026.
Since Mt. SAC over the summer - where I taught Cubing for Kids for the first time, wow that class of 19 kids in the first session was tough; the 11 in the second class were a lot easier - maybe I need a post about these takeaways? Or do I have an email about them, a draft? Will look! - on Thursdays, the kid has been coming with me to work out with Ryo.
We used to go to a meat-pie (chinese thing) place near the college, with their delicious cold tea drinks, and take those to go. Eat them and drink their cool, sweet tea drink on the way to the Diamond Bar Library.
Turns out, that's an amazing library. I randomly picked up two different books there - Up in the Air and A Single Man - and read them both completely, which, if you know the stacks of books I have lying around, is not a regular thing. Read the first few pages, got hooked, kept reading. This turns out to be a good way to decide if you're going to finish the entire book.
And the kid finds some manga (Haikyu!! or maybe One Piece that he's read, or a new one to check out) or finishes the Keeper of the Lost Cities book he has been reading - man, those are thick books.
There's a patio at the library, with two rocking chairs, near a very artistic wall that helps you forget this is a patio that is extended into the parking lot . Sometimes we sit in those chairs and read next to each other. Sometimes I take out a 3x3 cube or skewb and practice a little, and Luke eyes me with concern at my slow method.
Then we go work out with Ryo together. Kid seems to like it, hardly says he doesn't want to go. I think it's the comrarderie, Ryo not talking down to him, but just like another client, it's like hanging with the adults, doing adult stuff.
These are my favorite afternoons of the week.
No comments:
Post a Comment