Friday, September 25, 2015

10 Questions I Forgot to Ask the Baby's Doctor About Music

Originally published in September 2014.  Re-edited and "made funny" in September 2015.

This may become a series of posts called: Questions I Forgot to Ask the Doctor.  Or, it may become like so many failed series of posts on this site, nothing more than this post.  Enjoy!

During our last visit, our doctor told us, "Be sure to have the baby listen to music.  It's been shown it's good for brain development."  And then she left.

It was a good visit, but right after she left the room, I realized I had some questions.  Here are a few I didn't get to ask:

1. Is live music better than recorded music?  Is CD quality better than MP3 quality? Is there any advantage to vinyl?

2. When you say "music is good for brain development, do you mean all music except country?

3. If my baby is listening to an old CD that skips sometimes, will that mess with his brain?  Will he think that's the way music is supposed to be?

4. Does Muzak count as music?  If not, why is it nearly the same word?

5. They say Mozart helps develop the brain, but how many musicians have they experimented with?  What I mean is, the Pet Shop Boys have pretty complicated beats.  Did they test brain development with the Pet Shop Boys?  What about Erasure?  New Order?

6. Is it a problem if all the electronic music our baby listens to is from the 80s?

7a. If I'm tapping on the counter with my hands - I mean really well, like triplets and stuff - does that count as music?

7b.  What IS the difference between music and noise?

8.  That "Closing Time" song by Semisonic is really catchy.  I guess my question is, is it harmful to my baby if he hears the same song over and over again?  What if it's a mediocre song from the 90s?

9. If I'm singing to my baby, and I'm a little off key, will he develop an alternate scale?  Is that the same as learning another language....or better!?

10. Is there a certain music my baby should listen to that will guarantee he won't like country music when he's older?

Maybe it was better she left when she did.

-ND

No comments:

Post a Comment